Saturday, August 21, 2010

Won't someone think of the children?!?!?


I am a lucky mo chucky because I have been included in a fantastic musical compilation called Do Fun Stuff put together by superblogger, Ryan Marshall of Pacing the Panic Room to benefit research for the treatment and cure of a rare disorder known as Smith Magensis Syndrome that has struck all too close to Ryan's life. If you aren't already a regular reader of Mr. Marshall's blog, I suggest you head over there and find out what all the fuss is about here.

Understanding the glacial pace at which I am able to complete projects, Ryan started writing me in May of 2009 asking me to turn in a song for this compilation that debuts on August 30th on iTunes. Every penny earned from Do Fun Stuff will benefit the cause.

Seriously, I can't believe that I'm sharing space with the other talent on this album. I am a big, big fan of all of the acts that I'm familiar with here and I'm guessing that I'll like the ones that I haven't heard yet because Ryan don't make no junk!

The song I wrote, despite its nihilist's title, Nothing, is actually a less-sad-than-most-things-I-write-little ditty inspired by our amazing three-year-old-ball-of-light, Whistle Emmett Foxbury. Whistle even makes a cameo at the end of the song, which for me is the highlight of the track. Well, one of two highlights: The other is the fact that The Battle Sigh's resident grumpy siren, Mindy Steinberg sings on the whole thing and like she always does, adds a sweetness that would have been otherwise absent.

I am bugged out crazy ass excited to be included in this compilation. Because Ryan is a world shaker, of course great things are already happening with the album. In fact, a pretty cool grass-roots effort to alert The Great and Powerful Ellen DeGeneres of its existence via twitter-bomb is already in action. You can learn more about that here.

If I haven't made this abundantly clear, I want everyone to know that I am wildly grateful to Ryan for including me in this and I hope for the benefit's sake that loads of people find out about it and love it and buy it. So please feel free to mention it wherever it is you announce things to all your little computer friends. So do yourself a couple of favors and visit www.pacingthepanicroom.com and then plan to pick up this album of kids' songs written by a bunch of people who should probably not even really be allowed to be around kids. Put it on your calendar. August 30. iTunes. Do Fun Stuff. Listen. Love it!

I'll tell you about the other super rad awesome thing I've got coming up as soon as Kim Fox finishes the poster for it. Get off her back though because she's got a lot on her plate right now, what with being an amazing artist, wife, jelly-maker and mother to our child.

I'm trusting all of you to do the right thing here.

Thanks a million.

Steve

2 comments:

  1. You've got me laughing and smiling, Steve. Keep it coming! And don't let the other 100 bloggers stop you. ;)
    Susan Branch

    ReplyDelete
  2. "written by a bunch of people who should probably not even really be allowed to be around kids." Can I put that on the cover ?

    Thanks for this. The album is perfect, and I guess I should probably go ahead and get you started on your track for vol.2 now. You have about 9 months. Ready..... GO!

    ReplyDelete